NEW DELHI, 17th January, 2014: A delegation of 19 Members from China visited India and on 17th January 2014 they visited New Delhi and met the Board Members of Partnership for Safe Medicines(PSM) India Initiative to exchange knowledge and learn from India on the success story achieved in the last three years on tackling the menace of Spurious and not-of-standard medicines in the supply chain.
The delegation also met Mr. Keshav Desiraju, IAS, Secretary to the Government of India and other senior officials of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to understand the various provisions of the existing laws in India to protect the safety and health of the citizens with focus on medicine quality and efficacy. The Drug Controller General India (DCGI) explained about the various approval procedures of medicines prior to its commercial use including the clinical trial procedure existing in India. The delegation from China were impressed with the work conducted by Government of India in partnership with various Stakeholders through PSM India Initiative and thanked Government of India for the opportunity to learn from the best practices adopted in India in the interest of Patient Safety and Health. The Chinese Delegation was lead by Mr. Guangcheng Pan and PSM China was lead by Ms. Lihong Gu, Ph.D, PSM India Initiative is Chaired by Mr. Wajahat Habibullah, Former Secretary to the Government of India.
1. Mr. Wajahat Habibullah, Chairman, PSM India Initiative
2. Mr. L. Mansingh, Former Secretary to the Government of India, Ministry of Consumer Affairs
3. Mr. P. C. Jha, Former Chief Commissioner, Central Excise & Customs, Govt. of India
4. Mr. Keshav Desiraju, IAS, Secretary to the Government of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
5. Mr. R. K. Jain, IAS, Additional Secretary to the Government of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
6. Dr. Arun Kumar Panda, IAS, Joint Secretary to the Government of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
7. Dr. G. N. Singh, Drug Controller General of India
8. Mr. Bejon Misra, Founder Director, PSM India Initiative
9. Mr. Guangcheng Pan, Head of the Chinese Delegation, Managing Vice President, China Pharmaceutical Industry Association (CPIA)
10. Ms. Lihong Gu, Ph.D, Head, Partnership for Safe Medicines China Initiative